Thursday 3 June 2010

Clouds in the Library

Welcome to my blog in this gorgeous morning of early June!

After six month in the library, I am still learning my way around. Even the computer system is different from what I have been using before. I therefore signed up for Cam 23 in the hope to get the grip with what the wider world of computing can offer to us librarians and curators of bibliographical material and how we can use it to make our collections more visible and accessible to the public.

I mainly work with medieval manuscripts and incunables.
I catalogue them. A cataloguer at heart, I believe in cataloguing as a mean to increase public accessibility to the national historical collections of manuscripts and rare books. The recent advent of digitisation and the globalisation of internet access offer us a wonderful opportunity to combine cataloguing records with images, making these wonderful collections even more visible to the public at large.

I hope that Cam 23 will teach me even more creative ways to achieve this aim!








No comments:

Post a Comment